Thursday, January 20, 2011

THE best healthy lunch ever.

OMG.  I like, no, I love something that is healthy.  And easy to make.  And portable.  Hell yeah!

(Vegan) Lemon Pepper Tofu over Wild Rice

Perfectly Portable:)

Ingredients:
(Makes enough for a workweek of lunches) 
2 cups wild rice (I used Lundberg Jubilee & Lundberg Black Japonica)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for cooking the rice)
2 packages extra firm tofu
2 lemons
1 avocado
2-4 tablespoons lemon pepper
Sea salt and pepper to taste 



Method:
I made this with time in mind, so it's super easy and doesn't involve much work.   
1.  Cook the rice ahead of time, so you can throw your lunches together in the morning.  Cook the rice according to package directions (will take one hour so plan ahead!).
2.  Cut the tofu into cubes, and warm a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
3.  Throw in the tofu and stir constantly.  I didn't have time to press my tofu, so this was my bright idea of how to lose some of the water....
4.  Add the juice from one lemon.  Grate in some zest if you have the time!
5.  Mix and cook for a few minutes before adding the spices.
6. Mash the tofu with a fork, and cook for a few minutes.
7. Throw some of the rice and some of the tofu into your Tupperware of choice.  Chop up 1/4 of an avocado, and squeeze a lemon wedge over your meal to preserve the avocado until lunchtime).

2 comments: