(Vegan) Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
.. and Strawberry Minis!
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 3/4 cup AP flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the Strawberry Syrup:
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped into teeny tiny pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A squeeze of lime juice (or lemon)
- Dash of salt
For the Strawberry Buttercream:
(I used the Fluffy Buttercream recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World + strawberries and strawberry jam for color)
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening
- 1/2 vegan butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup soy milk/creamer/etc (I used 1/8 coconut milk + 1/8 Silk creamer)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 strawberries, cut into teeny tiny pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tray with liners (with this recipe, I made 11 big and 9 mini cupcakes).
- Grab two medium-sized bowls. Combine the dry ingredients in one, and the wet in the other. Combine the two and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full. Place in the oven and cook for roughly 18 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking (and making your kitchen smell fabulous!), make the strawberry syrup. This will need to cool completely before you can fill your cupcakes!
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the vanilla extract, in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly. I used a potato masher to smoosh the strawberries to create a thicker consistency. This isn't necessary, but will make it look more like a chunky syrup than sauce with strawberries in it. Add the vanilla and stir. Remove from heat, and place in your fridge to cool completely.
- At this point your cupcakes should be about done. Do the toothpick test, and if they're finished, set them aside to cool. These also need to cool completely before you can assemble and frost them!
- For the buttercream.... I hope you have an electric mixer. Mine is broken, and I about died wisking them by hand (with my $1 wisk). It is possible, it will just take forever and make your hand fall off. Cream the shortening and butter together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar in batches, and continue to mix (or wisk...). Add the vanilla and soy milk, and mix to fluffy. Fold in your strawberry jam and strawberries for a fun color and delicious flavor!
For the Strawberry Shortcakes:
1. Grab a cupcake!
2. Cut a hole in the center of the cupcake using a paring knife or one of those fancy cupcake tools:
3. Fill with strawberry syrup:
4. Ice those babies! Garnish with fresh strawberries:
For the Simple Strawberry Minis:
1. Follow steps 1 and 2 above.
2. Fill with either half of a strawberry or teeny tiny pieces of strawberries.
3. Send to your Grandma!!!
:) Oh, and the extra frosting is for you to enjoy! You deserve it after all of that!!