Sunday, October 10, 2010

(Vegan) Mock Chicken Tetrazzini

I took a "technology in the classroom" course a few semesters ago, and one of our projects was to create an instructional video podcast.  I had no idea what I was going to do for it, and like any studious person I decided to put it aside and watch television.  Luckily, The Soup was on... and I was inspired by this segment:

The Soup: The Maury Show and Chicken Tetrazzini
(unfortunately, all of the good versions have been taken off of YouTube, and the Embed feature for this one has been disabled.  If you have a link to an embedded version, PLEASE send it my way!)

If you didn't watch it, it's a clip from the Maury Show.  Basically, this woman thinks her boyfriend, Paul, is cheating on her with her best friend, Dominique, and that Dominique's chicken tetrazzini is to blame. Obviously, after seeing this, I had to make a vegan version.

(Vegan) Mock Chicken Tetrazzini


  Ingredients:

- 3 cups cooked pasta 
- One container of seitan (I like Ray's, but use whatever is available to you).  Approx. 2 cups.
- Vegetables (I used one large red bell pepper.  Peas would also work well) 
- 11/4 cup soymilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth 
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch 
- 1 can mushrooms (Mushrooms are a big element in tetrazzinis.. but I don't really like mushrooms.  If you do, put a ton in!)
-  heaping spoonful of pimento
- vegan parmesan cheese
- handful almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of pepper
- your favorite spices 

Method:

- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Start your pasta now if it is uncooked! 
- Toss a handful of almonds into a food processor.  These will top the dish, so it's up to you how much you should grind them.  You can chop them if you'd prefer.
- Cut up your vegetables.  Small pieces or slices work well.  Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the soymilk, vegetable broth, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  This is your "cheese sauce."
- Bring the wet mixture to a boil over medium heat.  Stir constantly.  When it comes to a boil, throw in 1/4 cup vegan parmesean cheese.  Stir in, and turn off the heat.
- Sauté the seitan with a bit of oil and your favorite spices.  
- In a separate pan, sauté the peppers over medium heat.  Once they're looking good, throw in the mushrooms and pimento.  
- Throw your pasta, seitan, and "cheese sauce" into the pan, and cook everything together for a few minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle with more vegan parmesean cheese and almonds. 
- Cook for 25 minutes.  It's down when it's bubbling and/or the top browns.



That's it!  If you really, really, really want to see my podcast, CLICK HERE*.
* This is from before I worked in a restaurant, so don't mind my terrible knife skills (I only had one knife), and my gross old kitchen.  I have since moved!:)  

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog and I have added you to my blog roll! Also, I love "meeting" other vegans also named Amanda :D

    This meal looks like the ultimate comfort food, yum!

    ReplyDelete