(Vegan) Sweet Potato Burritos
(Makes 2 extremely large burritos, or 4 "normal" ones)
- Tortillas (I prefer whole wheat, but it was my boyfriend's turn to choose)
- One large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- One small tomato, chopped
- Vegan sour cream
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- One small yellow onion, chopped
- One 15oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Few shakes cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste
- Sriracha (my boyfriend puts this on EVERYTHING)
- Start by cooking your sweet potato. I usually fall under the lazy category when I want a burrito, so I just throw mine in the microwave for 6 minutes. Feel free to actually cook yours!
- We like to warm our burritos in the oven. If you do as well, preheat your oven now.
- Saute the garlic and onions in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once soft, add the black beans. Mash them slightly with a potato masher. You can leave them chunky or completely mashed. Gradually stir in the water, lower the heat, and continue to stir constantly. Add the spices, mustard, and soy sauce.
- Start to warm your tortillas now!
- Chop or mash your sweet potato, and get a nice burrito assembly-line going: bowls of the bean mixture, tomatoes, vegan sour cream, sriracha, sweet potatoes, and any other favorites. I also like to put out cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper for everyone (ie. myself and my boyfriend) to season their own burritos.
- Assemble and enjoy!
Hopefully the tortillas you choose don't break if you touch or breathe near them....:)
Check out the ORIGINAL RECIPE from AllRecipes.com.