Sunday, October 24, 2010

(Vegan) Sweet Potato Burritos

This recipe is a favorite in my house.  I adapted these from a burrito recipe on AllRecipes.com (link to the original post at end), and they're a constant go-to meal.  Really.  We make them all the time.  The flavors are just perfect together, the ingredients are simple and easy to find, they're ready in no time, and although they fill you up, you don't feel like a fat slob afterwards. Winning combination if you ask me.

(Vegan) Sweet Potato Burritos
Ingredients: 
(Makes 2 extremely large burritos, or 4 "normal" ones) 
- Tortillas (I prefer whole wheat, but it was my boyfriend's turn to choose)
- One large sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
- One small tomato, chopped
- Vegan sour cream 
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- One small yellow onion, chopped
- One 15oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce 
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- Few shakes cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste 
-  Sriracha (my boyfriend puts this on EVERYTHING)
Method
- Start by cooking your sweet potato.  I usually fall under the lazy category when I want a burrito, so I just throw mine in the microwave for 6 minutes.  Feel free to actually cook yours!
- We like to warm our burritos in the oven.  If you do as well, preheat your oven now.
- Saute the garlic and onions in a skillet over medium heat.  
- Once soft, add the black beans.  Mash them slightly with a potato masher.  You can leave them chunky or completely mashed.  Gradually stir in the water, lower the heat, and continue to stir constantly.  Add the spices, mustard, and soy sauce.  
- Start to warm your tortillas now!
- Chop or mash your sweet potato, and get a nice burrito assembly-line going: bowls of the bean mixture, tomatoes, vegan sour cream, sriracha, sweet potatoes, and any other favorites.  I also like to put out cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper for everyone (ie. myself and my boyfriend) to season their own burritos.
- Assemble and enjoy!  

Hopefully the tortillas you choose don't break if you touch or breathe near them....:) 
Check out the ORIGINAL RECIPE from AllRecipes.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment