Earlier today, my boyfriend mentioned that a friend was driving from Long Island, NY to pick up some music equipment. We felt bad about how far the dude had to drive, and thought it'd be nice to have some snacks for him to take for the trek home. I had a bunch of almonds laying around from my attempt at vegan macarons, and decided to make some Almond Joy cupcakes!
(Vegan) Almond Joy Cupcakes
|Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream, Toasted Coconut, and Chocolate-Covered Almonds|
- 1 ½ cups AP flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup vegan butter (or 1/2 cup butter + 1/2 shortening for a more fluffy buttercream)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (plus another 1/4 cup for toasting)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 12 whole almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grab two medium-sized bowls, and line a 12-cupcake pan with liners.
- In one of your bowls, combine all of the dry ingredients. I just bought a sifter and used it for this, and was really happy with the outcome. Use one if you have it!
- In your second bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add to the dry ingredients and wisk until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake pan. Fill each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until you pass the toothpick test.
- While your cupcakes are baking, prepare the toppings! I started by toasting some coconut. Simply grab a frying pan and toss in the extra coconut (more or less depending on your taste). Push around with a wooden spoon over low-medium heat until golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Onto the chocolate- covered almonds. Make your ganache (I used a recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen- it's the perfect recipe!) first. Warm the almond milk over low-medium heat. Once it starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the chocolate and maple syrup. Stir constantly until you have a smooth, creamy ganache. Remove from heat and set aside. Once cooled, toss in 12 almonds. Stir to coat. Place in your fridge to cool. Feel free to make less, you won't need much. Or, drizzle the extra over the cupcakes!
- Buttercream time! This frosting is SO GOOD. Whip up the butter and powdered sugar until it's fluffy. Then toss in the coconut, vanilla, and almond milk.
- Time to assemble! Make sure your cupcakes are cool, or your icing is going to slide right off. Ice your cupcakes, sprinkle on some toasted coconut, and top with a chocolate- covered almond. Viola!