Whatever. This is fresh and original to ME (yes, I had never had the caramel and pineapple goodness that are these lovely little cakes before this day). Quick note: this recipe makes 5 mini cakes, or you can be all classic (or lazy) and just throw them all into one pan and call it a day. The pans I used are TINY (4x1), I bought them to bake my dog's birthday cake:). So, yeah, without further ado...
(Vegan) Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes
-1 cup AP flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can of sliced pineapples
- Maraschino cherries (5-7 is all you'll need)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (just use what's left from the slices)
- 1/3 cup applesauce (I used cinnamon)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Non-stick cooking spray (bonus points if it has flour in it)
& have brown sugar and vegan butter (like Earth Balance) handy
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix your dry ingredients together + a little brown sugar for good-luck.
3. In another medium sized bowl, mix together your wet ingredients.
4. *optional* Melt some vegan butter (a few tablespoons) in a saucepan over medium heat. Toss in some brown sugar to create a caramel sauce. Not necessary, but a really yummy addition.
5. Spray your pans (or pan) with the non-stick cooking spray. (If you opted for the caramel sauce, drizzle a little into the bottom of each pan)
6. Put a pineapple slice on the bottom of each pan, and stick a cherry in it! Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
7. Mix your wet and dry ingredients together. It's always easier (and many times less messy) if you take your time adding the dry ingredients.
8. Pop those bad boys in the oven! About 40 minutes later, toss on your oven mitts, carefully remove them from your oven, and let them cool. Seriously, hold back your excitement. I was so excited to "see if they worked," that I totally forgot they were piping hot and immediately grabbed one to flip. Bad idea.
9. Once they've cooled enough, it's time to flip! Grab a plate and place it on top of the pan. Then, flip it! It should come right out. If it doesn't, give it a little tap taparoo. Just taaaap it in.
|I don't have more than 3 of any of my 5 sets of plates...|