When you're taking in a game at Citizen's Bank Park, if you're not eating a hot dog, you're eating a Schmitter. If you're vegan, you're chowing down on some of MLB's best vegan- friendly ballpark food: hotdogs, cheesesteaks, chicken cheesesteaks, crab cakes, or some of those ballin' crab fries. To die for, yes, but... I wanted a Schmitter.
The (Vegan) Schmitter
-Vegan salami deli slices
-Vegan cheese slices
- One tomato, sliced
- One small yellow onion
- One container of seitan
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
(I interpreted this from a friend's recipe for nacho cheese)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/5 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- A few shakes onion powder and garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
(I had two ideas for this: "Big Mac" or Russian.. I went more in the "Big Mac" direction)
- 1/4 cup Vegannaise
- 2 tablespoons French dressing
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
-1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
(There are a lot of short steps to this. I just did each thing on it own, and made an "assembly line" of ingredients on the counter. You can multi-task or skip around, if you'd like.)
- Start with your "Special Sauce." It's really easy! Just wisk everything in a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate!
- Make the seitan marinade. Wisk together the soy sauce, EVOO, and Liquid Smoke in a wide, shallow bowl. Drain the seitan, rinse, and soak in the marinade. If you want to be authentic, chop it up! Cover, and place in the 'fridge.
- "Cheese Whiz" time! Wisk the dry ingredients and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to bubble, turn to low heat, and wisk in the mustard and vegan butter. Once you have a smooth sauce (it will thicken), turn off the heat and set aside.
- Fried onion time! Slice half of the onion, cut in half, and saute with 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium heat. Place cooked onions on a plate with a few paper towels- might as well save a few calories...
- I really, really wanted to char the salami and seitan on the grill. But, it was raining. So, I fried them. Grab a small frying pan and coat with canola oil. Fry the salami over medium heat. I used three slices for each sandwich. It will cook fast, so don't step away!
- Again, I was super bummed about not being able to char-grill my seitan. I did my next favorite thing, and cooked it in a wok. Basically, you just want to brown the seitan. As with the other steps, throw in a little canola oil and saute over medium heat.
- At this point, you should put your buns in the oven to lightly toast.
- Assembly! Take a look at that first photo, and follow the directions!:) From the bottom: bottom bun, vegan cheese slice, seitan "steak", fried onions, tomato slices, "cheese whiz," grilled salami, "special sauce," top bun.
Grab your Schmitter, pop a koozie on your jawn, and toast to the P-H-I-L-L-I-E-S! BEAT SF!