So! An apple dessert that can survive handling by a dude and two bus rides, and still look cute.. Duh, muffins!
(Vegan) Apple Strudel Muffins
- Two cups Granny Smith Apples (I grated 1/4 cup, diced the rest)
- Two cups AP flour
- One teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter (Earth Balance is great)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I used cinnamon)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (I used half light and half dark)
- Equivalent of 1 egg ENER-G egg replacer
- 1 teaspoon + "a little extra" vanilla (1 tsp should be fine but a little extra never hurt anyone)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (I like half light, half dark)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.5 tablespoons AP flour
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F, and line a 12-cupcake tray (or a muffin tray if you have one, I do not). Get three mixing bowls ready: two medium and a small.
2. Grab one of the medium bowls and mix all of your dry ingredients (minus the sugar and egg replacer.. which, technically, is a wet ingredient).
3. Make your egg replacer. The instructions are there for a reason: use WARM water.
4. In the other medium bowl, wisk together your sugar and wet ingredients (butter, applesauce, egg replacer). Once it's as smooth as you can get it, mix in your vanilla and grated apples. Fold in the apple pieces, followed by mixing in the dry mixture.
5. Fill up your cupcake tray! You should have enough for 12 perfect muffins. Remember, muffin mixture fills up almost the whole liner.
6. Throw your remaining ingredients into the small bowl, and then mix in your butter. Your life will be a lot easier if you use butter at room temperature. Mix together until you have the yummy, crumby topping. Top your muffins! Feel free to double this for extra topping for your muffins (or just to eat...).
7. Bake your muffins for about 20 minutes (make sure to do the toothpick test*!).
And that's it! Feel free to throw a bunch in a ziplock bag, and hand them off to your boyfriend. If he doesn't end up eating them along the way, they should make it safely to their destination. A good way to avoid the whole "being eaten" problem is to make a few extras!:)
* Insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin (pick one in the middle). If it comes out clean, they're done! Otherwise, put 2 more minutes on your timer, and try again. Make sure you use a new toothpick, and if you're like me and don't just have toothpicks lying around, use a kebob stick or something of the like.