(Vegan) Indian-Spiced Collards and Lentils
6-8 collard leaves
1 cup lentils
1 medium-sized yellow onion
1 medium-sized tomato
1 can crushed tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
A few shakes salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, ginger, and chile pepper
1. Chop the onion and tomato and set aside. Mince the garlic and set aside.
2. Grab a large pot and saute the onion and garlic over medium-heat. I actually used 1/2 cup water to be healthier (and because I didn't have much oil). Feel free to use either!
3. Once the onions begin to look translucent, throw in the spices to create a glaze. Stir constantly.
4. Add the chopped and crushed tomatoes, and toss in another 3/4 cup water.
5. Roll your collards and cut into strips. Toss these into the pot, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for a good half-hour.
6. While this is going on, cook your lentils according to the package.
7. Stir the lentils into the pot, and finish simmering.
8. Serve and feel skinny.