(Vegan) Seitan Tikka Masala
|I realize this photo won't win any photography awards, but it's better than nothing..|
- 2 tubs of seitan
For the marinade:
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- A few shakes of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 cup soy creamer
- White or brown rice
- Begin by marinading your seitan. Wisk together all of the marinade ingredients (from the soy yogurt to "a few shakes of salt and papper") in a wide, shallow bowl. Add the seitan, and make sure you completely soak each piece. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Sauté over medium heat until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add the garam masala, chile powder, and cayenne pepper, and continue to stir for a minute or so.
- Deglaze with the crushed tomatoes.
- Add the sugar, and if you're feeling crazy, a few extra shakes of salt and pepper.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until sauce has noticeably thickened.
- Add the soy creamer and cook for another 10 minutes, remembering to stir occasionally.
- Add the marinaded seitan, and simmer for another 15 minutes. Yes, remember to stir!
- Serve over rice and ask yourself, "are you ready for a Throwdown!?"
|You know, just chilling with the Flay at Williams Sonoma|