(Vegan) Coconut Oatmeal with a Perfect Peppermint Mocha
For the Coconut Oatmeal:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oats (plus another 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup soy milk
For the Peppermint Mocha:
(for a super yummy coconut variation, sub coconut syrup for the peppermint syrup and use 1/4 cup soy milk and 1/4 cup coconut milk!)
- 1/4 cup coffee or espresso, prepared
- 1/2 cup soy milk, warmed
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
(you can also use mocha or chocolate syrup)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons peppermint syrup
- frothed soy creamer
1. Start with the oatmeal. Bring the water to a boil, and stir in the oats. Lower to medium heat and cook until thickened. Stir occasionally.
2. Once thickened, lower the heat to low and add the coconut milk. Continue to stir.
3. Add the shredded coconut and stir well. If you can handle sweet stuff in the morning, feel free to add some agave. I chose not to.
4. Set aside and start your mocha! Combine the prepared coffee and warmed soy milk in your favorite mug.
5. Stir in the cocoa powder and peppermint syrup.
6. To finish the oatmeal, just put it in a bowl and add the soy milk (kind of like cereal- my boyfriend does this and I think it's so fun). For the mocha, top with the frothed soy creamer.