Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gossip Worthy Monday: Blair's Famous Pumpkin Pie

If you watch Gossip Girl, you understand that Thanksgiving is quite the big deal on the Upper- East Side.  What's even more important?  Blair's Pumpkin Pie.  I'll spare you the details (because I'm sure you know all about it already), but won't spare you the details for my and Chelsea's take on her masterpiece.


My version: (Vegan) Apple Pumpkin Pie
(yes, I had to be difficult and make something different.  It's what I do best!)


When I was on WholeFoods.com writing down their amazing stuffing recipe, I stumbled upon a recipe for... the pie I thought I was so genius in creating.  I couldn't believe it!  I thought I was so brilliant in combining the two "classic" holiday pies.  As much as I was excited about creating my own recipe, in the interest of time (ie. having none), I decided to veganize theirs.  I changed a few things, and will change more the next time I make it (I'm not thrilled with how it looks, but it tasted great- I WILL be making it again).  After all, if their stuffing was so amazing, why not try out their pie recipe?

From WholeFoods.com****, with changes in bold:
Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar 
-
2 tablespoons cornstarch 
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided 
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided 
- 1/3 cup water 
- 2 tablespoons
(vegan) butter 
- 2 Granny Smith or Fuji apples*, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 3 cups) 
* I think one apple would be plenty, less is more 
- 1 egg
replacer 
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar 
- 3/4 cup fresh or canned pumpkin purée 
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk**
** I used soy creamer 
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (in pie pan)***
*** I made my own crust:



  • - 1 1/4 cups AP flour
  • - 1/2 cup vegan butter (chilled!)
  • - Dash salt
  • - 1/4 cup ice water


Method:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Put brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, water and vegan butter into a medium pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Add apples and cook, tossing to coat in sugar mixture, 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside. 

- In a large bowl, whisk together egg
replacer, granulated sugar, pumpkin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cloves, ginger and soy creamer until well combined. 

- Pour apple mixture into
pie shell and spoon pumpkin mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 375°F and bake until filling is just set in the middle, about 40 minutes more. Set aside on a wire rack to let cool completely before cutting into slices.

Note: The only thing I think would be better would be if there was more evenness in the layers.  Cut the apple mixture in half, and I think smaller pieces would've worked better for this.  Also, the pumpkin mixture needs to be a little thicker.  I added a little extra cornstarch, but I think I may add something else next time to thicken it up a bit.

For the crust: Chill the butter in small chunks before mixing with the flour and salt.  If you have a food processor, this would be the time to use it!  I don't at the moment, so I used my hands and "kneaded" it.  You should pulse/knead the butter and flour mixture until it forms a coarse meal.  Then, add the ice water in small bits until the dough forms a ball.  Wrap it in clear wrap and place in your refrigerator for at least one hour.  After an hour, press firmly into a pie dish!

Chelsea's version: A Classic (Vegan) Pumpkin Pie



Ingredients:

For the Crust:
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp.
salt
- 1/3 cup
vegan butter
- 2 tbsp.
ice water

For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup
sugar
- 1/2 cup
brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp.
salt
- 1 tsp.
cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp.
ginger
- 1/4 tsp.
cloves
- 1/4 tsp.
nutmeg
-
ENER-G equivalent of 2 eggs
- 1 can (15 oz.)
pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of
soy milk

Method:
1. Prepare the crust as I prepared mine in the first recipe.
2. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
3. Prepare the egg replacer and set aside.  Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium- sized bowl and mix well.  Add the egg replacer and mix.
4. Pour the mixture into the crust, and bake for 45-50 minutes (until the center is set).



****Source: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/896

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! I've never had apples in a pumpkin pie before.

    ReplyDelete