My version: (Vegan) Pink Strawberry Lemonade Bars
|Look at those swirls of color!|
For the crust:
- 2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Dash of salt
For the filling:
- ENER-G Egg Replacer: 3 egg equivalent
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3/4 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 packet pink lemonade mix (NOT the kind with added sugar. If that's all you have or can find, do not add as much sugar in the next step- use about half as much)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8-10 strawberries
- 2 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a brownie or casserole pan!
- Prepare your crust. It's super easy! Just throw all of the crust ingredients in a bowl and combine. You may want to use your hands for this one! It helps if your butter is at room temperature and you cut chunks into your mix.
- Once you have what resembles a dough, press firmly into the bottom of your pan. Throw into the 'fridge to cool until your oven is preheated.
- Bake your crust for about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- At this point you can start your filling! Cut a bunch of strawberries into teeny, tiny pieces, or pulse them down in a food processor. My original idea was to have a layer of strawberries under the filling, but they're just going to float around, so yeah, that didn't exactly work out. Just use as many or little as you would like for flavor and/or color. Set aside.
- Prepare the egg replacer as per the directions on the package. Wisk to foamy. Add the rest of your filling ingredients, and mix well. Add the strawberries.
- Pour the filling onto your cooled crust.
- Bake for another 25 minutes, or until the filling is firm(er). (It's done when the filling doesn't move around).
- Let cool. Place is the 'fridge to settle for at least one hour.
- Once ready, sprinkle on some powdered sugar, and you're good to go!
Chelsea's Version: (Vegan) Classic Lemon Bars
Chelsea is still perfecting her recipe. For now, follow the above instructions and simply omit the pink lemonade packet and the strawberries. Or, check out Isa's amazing recipe for lemon bars in her amazing cookbook Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. That book is A-maze-zing (Rachel Zoe, anyone?).